Headaches are something we all have in common. I don’t know a single person who hasn’t had multiple headaches over their lifetime. Its not even unusual for people to have headaches every single week, but its not something you need to continue to suffer from. This articles covers the most effective natural remedies.
Step one is to figure out what your body is telling you. Because you don’t have a headache for no reason. This is your body communicating to you so please don’t ignore it, otherwise guess what, the headaches will keep coming. If you need assistance finding the root cause of you health issues, click here to book a one-on-one with me and we’ll work through it together.
Here’s a few common causes:
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Allergies + Food Intolerances
- Poor posture
- Alcohol or drug consumption (duh?!)
Is your go to a pain killer? These pills come with a host of ugly side effects that most people turn a blind eye to – leaky gut, kidney and liver damage as well as an increased risk of heart attack and stroke. Yes seriously! Click here to see for yourself. And the other main reason I don’t like them is they don’t deal with the root of the problem.
Here’s my top tips to assist with headaches naturally.
- Increase your micronutrient intake. Nutritional deficiencies are rampant in our society. The body needs vitamins and minerals to function properly. If you need a boost, I suggest you incorporate liver into your diet. Just 50gm has your RDI of ALL vitamins and minerals including the B vitamins which are needed for the formation of neurotransmitters. Or, contact me here to purchase high grade, therapeutic liver capsules.
- Address the stress in your life. The more you ignore it the worse it will become and the more ill health you will see. Stress is a killer darling, I’m not kidding – address it.
- A relaxing detox bath. Run a hot bath, add 1 cup epsom salts, 10 drops lavender essential oil and 10 drops peppermint essential oil. Soak in the bath for at least 20min, ensuring you relaaaaax. Here’s what’s happening as you take the detox bath – the epsom salts will give your body a boost of the mineral magnesium, which is quickly depleted during times of stress or pain. Magnesium is wonderful for relaxing muscles and is needed for the bodies stress pathways. Increasing magnesium is one of the most effective ways to naturally rid yourself of headaches. Molecules from the lavender essential oil reach olfactory receptors in your nose and they send signals directly to the limbic system in the brain (the area of the brain which governs your emotions!). This is the mechanism behind lavender being relaxing! Science shows that lavender essential oil is a safe and effect way to reduce headache severity, partly due to its sedative properties! The peppermint essential oil contains menthol which is also shown to be an effective treatment for headaches and peppermint is great for increasing circulation and reducing constriction of blood vessels in the forehead. So there is lots going on here to assist with your headache during this bath.
- Identify food intolerances. The best way is to get a blood test called an IgG Food Intolerance test. I can help with this. Removing foods that your body is having an immune response to is an extremely effective way to reduce headache occurrences and severity.
- Your nervous system could be sympathetic dominant – ie your body is stuck in ‘fight or flight’ mode. This causes all of your sense to be heightened (sound, light input, smell etc) and it becomes overwhelming for the body, causing headaches. If you also suffer from anxiety, irritability, digestive issues, tight shoulders/neck, period/fertility issues, sleeping issues, feeling cold, dry skin and/or brittle nails then this might be what’s going on. I’m an SD certified practitioner and can help you with this, contact me here to make an appointment.
My go to for headaches. If you know what the trigger of your headache is, you can use specific essential oils to provide relief. The best thing about this approach is that you are able to target the cause.
Hormonal changes in women due to mensutural cycles, pregnancy or menopause – Clary sage and lavender used topically or aromatically.
Stress/Tension headaches – Lavender with either rosemary, peppermint or eucalyptus diluted in some fractionated coconut oil can be apply to the forehead, temples, neck and shoulders. Diffuse lavender or take a detox bath (details above)
Allergies or sinus pressure – doTERRA Easy Air blend, eucalyptus or peppermint work wonders on the airways, opening them up to relieve sinus pressure. Eucalyptus is also shown to dull feelings of pain in the body – amazing!
Migraines – Lavender regulates serotonin levels which can lead to less migraine attacks, Its also wonderful for aiding sleep and reducing anxiety which are both known triggers for migraines. Peppermint applied to the forehead and temples is also effective at reducing the severity of migraines due to an increase in blood flow.
Need personal assistance with your headaches? Click here