Lavender is one of the most trusted and utilized medicinal plants in the world. It’s sometimes referred to as the ‘Swiss Army Knife’ of essential oils due to its wide range of uses!
Some of its earliest uses include being used as an embalming agent for the ancient Egyptians, killing lice and fleas and being used as a flavoring agent to assist with calming the stomach. The Greeks, Persians, and Romans all added it to their bath water. It’s also recorded in many English herbal medicine recipes and folk remedies.
What Science Shows
There is strong scientific evidence that Lavender has beneficial properties for:
- Menstrual pain
- Caesarean pain
- Agitated behavior (dementia)
- Pain relief
There is also emerging science that Lavender is beneficial in the following areas:
- Memory/brain protection
- Intestinal function
- Canker sores
- Respiratory function
- Cardiovascular health
- Oral health
- Hair loss
- Sleep aid
5 ways I personally use Lavender in my home:
- I combine Tea Tree, Lavender and water in a mist bottle and use as a daily facial toner. I find this combination works well for breakouts and general redness.
- Every night I either diffuse Lavender in our bedroom or rub it onto my chest to help me fall asleep quickly and get a deep sleep.
- When I burn myself in the kitchen or with our log fire (which seems to be often) I’ll run the burn under cold water and then apply lavender essential oil to the burn.
- When I have a talking event I’ll wear lavender with lemon and wild orange to keep my anxiety at bay. This works wonders! And smells amazing too.
- I’ll run a hot bath, add Epsom salts and some lavender oil then light a few candles and as soon as I step into the hot water, I can feel the stress of the day melt away. So relaxing.
** Please note that due to the very large amount of individual scientific studies applicable to this post, I cannot provide individual links within the post. If you wish to be directed to the journal published studies I gathered my info from, comment below stating exactly which application you would like the links to.